Friday 30 September 2011

Target Audience Research

Target Audience Research


In order to create a successful music video I had to learn what my target audience would like to in the music and music videos they consume.  To do this I have created a survey devised to learn who are the most popular artists of my target audience, how much they consume this medium, what genres they like, why they like the genres in which they do like, what about the artists they like, what aspects of the artist’s music that they like and what aspects of their music videos do they like. 




The first few questions I asked were questions such as age, gender and occupation. This was so that when I came to analysing my results I could see if their answers might have been influenced by anyone of these simple factors.
                The first main question was what genres did they like most. The most popular genre was pop but this was closely followed the genre rock. I think a target audience of this age is probably more likely to favour this genre as this is what most of the well known artists are famous for. Also most pop artists have other genre influences than just pop. The most popular influence would the rock genre. Most teenagers hear these influences through their favourite pop artists and their songs and thus it would then introduce them into other genres such as rock. My findings would suggest that I should choose a rock/pop genre of music to create a music video too as that is the most popular genre. This chart displays my findings.


I then asked my target audience why they liked the genre. Most people who chose these genres felt that most of the music that belonged to this genre was upbeat and thus they said they liked it because it was catchy and exciting. They also said that it allowed them to easily dance to it. These findings suggest that I should make sure that the music is catchy and upbeat so that they will be attracted by its exciting danceable rhythms.
                The next question which I asked my target audience was how long on average, did they spend consuming music and music videos per week. The majority of my target audience spent on average eight to fifth teen hours per week consuming music and music videos. From my findings I have found that my target audience must spend approximately one to two hours a day consuming music and music videos. This suggests that my music video must be of the highest quality and it must apply to the tastes and preferences of my target audience for it to be viewed by them in the limited time that they spend consuming music and music videos.





The following question I asked my target audience was, “Would there be anything that music artists could do to make you more willing to spend more time listening to their music or watching their music videos?”. I asked this question because after asking the previous question I found that my target audience spent a limited amount of time consuming music and music videos and so I wanted to find out if anything could persuade them to watch or listen to music and music videos for a longer period of time. This was so that I could use this in my own music video therefore persuading them to watch it. From this I found that the majority of my target audience thought that music videos should be generally more interesting and more unique in general. This could be having some more unusual shots or clothing and having brighter colours within the video.  Also they said that they would like to have some more upbeat music videos. From this I now know that I should have a more visually interesting video and that it should be upbeat.

                I asked my target audience which were their three favourite artists so that I know who is most popular and so I know who I should be inspired by when creating my video and therefore attracting my target audience as they already like similar videos. There were so many different artists that my target audience favoured that I decided to only note the artists that came up in the results more than once. The most popular artists were Lady Gaga, Amy Winehouse, Adele, Katy Perry, JLS and Pink. I have since decided that I shall be inspired by some of these artists.


The next question I asked was why did they like the artist(s) they had chosen in terms of their image. The majority of my target audience said that they liked the target audience firstly, because of their good looks and secondly because they are successful role models and make them aspire to be as successful as their celebrity role models. This tells me that I shall have to make sure that my artist looks good and I will have to make her appear extremely successful in order to attract my target audience.

                Following the previous question I asked my target what aspects of their favourite artist’s music did they like. The majority of my target audience said that they liked the lyrics put to the artist’s music as they have meaning that moves them. This tells me that the visuals in my music video should draw from the lyrics and really make them stand out.

                The final question which I asked my target audience was what aspects did they like about the artist’s music that they had chosen as their favourites. There were two answers that seemed to be repeated many times by my target audience. They said that firstly they liked the more wacky and unique videos as they are different and its more interesting when you haven’t seen a certain aspect before. Secondly they said that they like a video which has a narrative. This tells me that my video should have a story tied to it where the artist takes a journey and secondly that it should be fairly wacky and unique so that it attracts the target audience.   






No comments:

Post a Comment